Monday, July 8, 2013

Garden Update: Hello Bell Peppers, Goodbye Cilantro

So far, I'm very happy with our first real attempt at gardening. Everything is so green and things are finally starting to ripen. I'm sure most of our gardening success can be attributed to the abundance of rain we've received over the last few months. According to our local Philly meteorologist, this past June was the wettest on record for Eastern Pennsylvania. I'm not shocked - it literally rained every day in June.


On Saturday, I picked our first two green bell peppers. It was a hard decision wether to pick them or not. I feared if I kept them in the garden any longer something would get hold of it. The two bell pepper plants I planted have several more smaller peppers, so I plan to wait as long as possible to pull those. Hopefully. I can be so impatient sometimes, and that trait seems to come out in my gardening. Warren sautéed the peppers with some sausage last night and they tasted wonderful! You can definitely taste the difference between homegrown and store bought. 

Also ready are the cherry tomatoes and the jalapenos. While the jalapenoe plants have been producing hot peppers for the last few weeks, we're just now starting to get ripe cherry tomatoes. Delicious! I'll be using them in my salads this week. All of the larger tomatoes are still green. They're all starting to get huge, so I fear they're going to all ripen at the same time. Luckily, I know of a good salsa recipe! 

Sadly, not all good news from the gardening front. I did have to pull out both of our cilantro plants last week. For the first several weeks they were doing so great and getting so big, but in the matter of a few days they started getting brown and wilting. I've not done a lot of research on the plant, but I think it may have gotten a little too much water. 

My eggplants are starting to come up, so hopefully we'll be grilling eggplant in the next several weeks. As far as the cucumbers and watermelon - nothing yet. 

That's all for now. Another update from the Clark Farm garnen coming soon! Happy gardening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment