Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Yearning for More Urbanism

I can't believe it's already July. It's been about four months now since we left Austin, Texas and headed northeast to the beautiful countryside of Bucks County, Pennsylvania.  And while the job I had that originally brought us back up this direction didn't pan out as planned, I'm still extremley happy we made the move. As I've written before, I'm enjoying the country life. Planting gardens, having wide open spaces for Dingo to roam, and being blessed with an extra large house has been nice, but I still sometimes find myself missing the city life.


Warren and I always say to one another that we have the best of both worlds; while we live in the beautiful countryside of Pennsylvania, we can easily escape to Philly about an hour southwest or Manhattan an hour and a half northeast whenever we want to recapture our love of city life. While all this is true, my yearning for more urbanism still remains. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there were more sidewalks and  public transportation and less ticks and bears, but at the same time it's these same things that I find endearing about country life. Minus the ticks - I don't find them endearing at all. To say I'm torn is an understatement.

Right now, we're country dwellers and there's nothing to do but make the most out of our scenic surroundings. The garden is doing unbeleivably well, we're thrilled with the many barn sales and flea markets that seem to surround us, and Dingo loves to run. What more can we ask for, right?! Maybe just a little bit more time in the city each month as a way to fill that urban void. We'll start this upcoming weekend by taking Dingo into Philly for his first trip to a big city (not counting Austin). We'll report back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment