Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Etsy Faves: Turn Your Radio On

At the age of 13, my very first job was as a disc jockey at the local radio station in the small Texas town where I was raised. Growing up, all I wanted to do was work in radio, and to be lucky enough to live my dream at such a young age was a blessing. I even majored in radio in college. But, experiencing the corporate world where nearly all the radio stations are owned by two or three major companies, my radio aspirations quickly faded away and it seems I've been wandering aimlessly ever since...career wise that is.

Spending my formative years in that small radio station really sparked my interest in the past. You see, in its hay day, that little AM station had legends such as Elvis, Hank Williams, Sr, Patsy Cline and others pass through its doors. That station is long-gone now - having been gobbled up by a big communications conglomerate. But every time a see an old radio I think back to my radio days and smile and remember how lucky I was to experience the last of the great radio age, and how even luckier I am that now I make my living finding old things - such as radios - and giving them new life.

1963 Arvin Sunset Tube Radio   1930's Delco Radio Bakelite Tube Original Parts Needs New Plug and Cord.   Dark Brown Bakelite Deco Emerson 1940s Radio


Vintage General Electric Alarm Clock Radio - AM only   Zenith 1950 AM/FM table radio   ADDISON Model 5 Art Deco Radio (1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment